This
was not what I wanted to read as my first assigned article as a college
student. Of course, Menand did present some theories of education and if I had
not read the article, I would not be able to do the first conventional essay,
but this is the last thing on Earth I needed to hear. I don’t know how many times
I’ve explained to people why I don’t want to be here, but the article even
supported my argument. The fact that we discussed in class, a college class,
how stupid and useless it is to go to college really set me off.
It’s
not special to go to college anymore. Sorry, it’s not. Everyone around you will
pretend that it’s so great that you’re attending University X, Y or Z and
you’ll love the praising. They’re all lying- or they’re just part of the group
of people in the world that will forever deny the fact that a college degree is
almost as useful as a penny. You don’t even need to be smart to go to college
anymore… all you need to do is cheat on every test in high school and pay some
genius to take your SAT at another school… right? It makes no sense for you to
actually pay attention in your twelfth grade math class, because you’ll just
pay somebody to do the graded homework later that night.
College
isn’t even cool anymore. The majority of
the people go to college now and everyone knows it’s about “being different” nowadays.
Why do you go to college? To get really, really smart? No. Now the majority
(actually, 68% of high school graduates) will be just as really, really smart
as you are so you need to go to grad school to get EXTRA really, really smart.
While
you’re in college you’ll be surrounded by many different types of people: The
first group will be the legacy kids- their parents both went to your school and
met at your school. Their family gives a very
generous donation every year and their grandparents funded the building of
the very library wing where you do you work every afternoon. Another crew is
the cheating crew. They never actually did work in high school so there’s a
chance college work is going to be a huge slap in the face for them… or they’ll
just pay somebody to write each essay they’re assigned and have the kid across
the hall do their online calculus test. Don’t worry- there is a group that takes
college just as seriously as you do and will get easily offended by my
argument. They’ll do all their work weeks in advance and make sure they attend
office hours at least twice a month because professors like that. Guess what?
All these students end up graduating with the same degree. That’s right daddy’s
little girl, the one who slept through lecture every Monday and Wednesday and
the sycophant all have a college degree to hang up in the family room.
Don’t
be mad at me. You don’t need to agree with me- for I happen to be part of the
third group. I’ve never missed an assignment in my life. I just play the game.
It’s much easier that way. I would never opt to sit down and write this blog
ranting about why Menand’s words made me so angry but I care. I care about my
grades because it’s easier to play the game than to have the guts to just drop
it all. At this moment, I have plans to go to law school to be EXTRA really,
really smart so I can make EXTRA money to support myself someday. But college
comes first, so I’m here playing the undergraduate game instead of traveling
the world and being happy.
You
should just drop out. Don’t be miserable like me and attend classes that you
have no interest in. Really. Go enjoy life… do you want to be sitting in your
psychology lecture if this is your last day on Earth? Well, I take that back:
most of you should drop out and enjoy yourself. Those of you who still think
that getting a college degree proves something to people- stay in you
psychology lecture… I may need some therapy.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSamantha,
ReplyDeleteI am unsure of what your argument specifically is. Are you trying to convince us to drop out and do what we like? Are you arguing that college these days is useless? Are you implying we should act Machiavellian and cheat our way through college because we’re all equal after graduation anyway? I just don’t know what you’re trying to prove.
As for your description of college, it seems more emotionally charged than factually. You claim that college is unimportant today because 68% of people do. You fail to recognize there is an elitist system. A Harvard or Michigan graduate is considered smarter than a community college or Ohio State graduate simply because of his college. Also, about half of college students drop out (1). That means only 34% of the population graduates college – surely not the majority. Those that do graduate also earn significantly more than those that do not. A high school graduate earns $1.3 million in his lifetime, a dropout earns $1.55 million, and a college graduate earns $2.27 million (2). I think a college degree is worth more than a penny…
Another thing, don’t pigeonhole all college students into legacy, cheater, or try-hard. There are many more dimensions to college students, and you know that.
(1) http://thinkprogress.org/education/2012/03/28/453632/half-college-students-drop-out/
(2) http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2011/08/05/how-higher-education-affects-lifetime-salary
Ryan-
DeleteYou are correct in saying that my argument is very emotionally charged rather than being factually charged. This post should viewed more as a rant from a ticked off college student instead of somebody who seriously thinks there are no benefits to college. I really only concentrated on some negatives that I have found with the college process and failed to address all that I do enjoy and support about college and even learning.
If I was trying to convince everybody to drop out, I would have provided a much more structured and supported argument. There is a part of me that understands that college allows people to explore the numerous disciplines of the world, but I also think that it is important for people to have more “life experience” before deciding what they want to major in. In other words, people should find what they have passion in and then follow a path (perhaps the path to college) to become an informed and enlightened about this passion.
I am fully aware that college does have value and was being highly sarcastic throughout my post, but it also makes me upset that college is no longer as elite as it used to be. Yes, a Michigan degree comes with much clout and is a highly respected achievement but I don’t think it holds the same value as it did years ago.
I never said that all college students are able fit into the three categories that I mentioned in my post. I am well aware that there are many other types of students, those are just the ones I chose to mention. I’m not trying to prove anything to you… I’m just thinking out loud a little bit. Thanks for your thoughts!
I think it's very reasonable to argue that some things are wrong with higher education. You could argue that it's significantly overpriced, but I think the argument that college is worthless would be pushing it too far. It seems like part of your argument is that some people who get college degrees do not deserve them, thus devaluing the value of the degree. This is a reasonable argument as well. However, not all degrees are created equal. Two people can graduate from Michigan and be very different in their value. Their GPAs could be very different, or even if they are the same, an employer will also look at a person's involvement in the University.
ReplyDeleteAlso, the value of a college degree may have decreased due to the fact that more people are getting them. However, the flip-side of this is that a person without a college degree is even more at a loss because so many people have them. Studies have shown that people with degrees earn significantly more, and there are many jobs that require college degrees. There are valid things to argue about higher education, but I think it's going too far to say that a diploma is worthless.
The statement that a college degree is worth less than a penny now is an over exaggeration. Achieving an undergraduate degree puts you ahead of people that do not possess them. And furthering your education by attending a graduate school is an even better move. Why shouldn't we play the game too if that's your plan?
ReplyDeleteYour frustration is very reasonable though. I feel like my parents have been telling me that I was going to go to college my whole life, but I did not realize that there would be so much negative press about how undergraduate degrees are losing their value. I guess the best thing for us to do is keep playing the game, and apply to graduate school. I feel like degrees are a hot commodity and too many people know about them for us not to be chasing after them.
So is college really just about the grades you get? Are people who got mediocre grades in high school doomed to keep receiving mediocre grades in college? Or do you think that it is possible for the person who did average in high school to gain more intelligence and ace college courses?
Joseph-
DeleteAs I explained in my prior reply, I admit that my post is a bit of an exaggeration. Thanks for understanding my frustration though- it just seems that it is such a societal norm for people to attend college today. Different college degrees allow us to obtain different jobs and internships due to the connections that some big universities provide, but I still think we should try to experience the “real world” before we are prepared to be a part of it. I agree with you when you explain degrees as the new “it” item. I know that they are not just part of a fad that will one day fade away, but as we have both agreed they are not as “hot” as they used to be. The price of college is another aspect that makes it less appealing. A degree is quite expensive now and sometimes I find myself thinking about where the money my parents have invested in my education would be spent if not on school.
While I’m playing the game, I’m going to have fun; therefore, college isn’t all about the grades you receive. There is so much more offered here than just the classes we attend. The people I have met and will meet here are going to be long lasting friends. I do think that it is possible for kids who did not put much effort into high school work to buckle down and do well in college, but not without hard work. Depending on their intentions, they can gain more knowledge and perhaps see the benefits to a “theory 2” perspective and strive to learn.
I think some others have already offered by reasonable responses to why a college degree still is worth it, so I won't elaborate further upon that discussion.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I college is about a lot more than getting an education and getting a job in the future. As much as professor, or our parents, might hate to hear it, college is just as much a social experience as it is an educational one. College isn't as much as about getting a degree as it is about growing up. Certainly gaining expertise in a field to get a job and enter the "real world" is part of going to college, but learning how to deal with people and situations is every bit as important.
As much as I learned my freshman year going into the completely free and new environment that is college, I probably learned just as much, if not more, working and living in Ann Arbor this summer. Having to pay for every little expenditure and making sure I have food to eat at home was a huge change from the life of convenience that is a dorm (that's what you are paying for to be honest). I grew up a lot this summer because I had to be responsible for myself.
So while in the end, that degree might be the same, college teaches about a lot more than just knowledge. It teaches responsibility, time management (or our collective lack-thereof), and adaptability. College is what you make of it.
After reading your blog I am unsure if you think college is beneficial or a waste of time. It seems like you contradict yourself throughout the blog. For example you say that you never miss school and always complete your assignments, which would imply that school is very important to you. Then you go on to say that you're not interested in your classes and that you would rather be somewhere else, implying that school is not important to you.
ReplyDeleteI disagree with you, however, when you say college isn’t cool anymore and a degree is worthless. I think the complete opposite because more and more high school students each year decide to attend college. Since enrollment is increasing students must believe that college is special and exciting and that a degree is valuable.
I’m also confused why you’re attending college if you’re so unhappy. You state so many flaws about college, but you continue to stay enrolled. It seems like you’re just made because you have to push yourself and work hard in college, instead of enjoying life and traveling the world.
I feel like there is a fundamental disconnect in your argument regarding higher education. At times, you focus on the Theory 1 aspects of higher education, criticizing the uniformity of degrees that result from a a wide variety of work ethics and college experiences, and at other times you are focusing on the Theory 2 aspects of higher education, that higher education exists to make individuals smarter.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that a higher education is not a universal need for a large portion of the population, and that expectations of obtaining a higher education and degree are creating this large demand for higher education. But in delineating the types of students that are enrolled in higher education, you seem to ignore the existence of those who believe in Menand's second theory; perhaps some students are enrolled because of their earnest desire to become enlightened as well as knowledgeable or intelligent. Yes, the accumulation of knowledge for the sake of being intelligent is both foolhardy and wasteful, but what about those who seek to be more "enlightened?" College for those individuals is still incredibly valuable; does this apply to those who do not necessarily agree with this yet are still enlightened, albeit unnoticed?
Your emphasis on undergrad being a process to become smarter contrasts the argument that higher education focuses too heavily on the extrinsic goals such as a degree. If the process by which individuals become more intelligent and enlightened through exposure to a wide range of material is associated with processes that homogenize students and wastes money, does that illegitimate those that benefit? Personally, i do not believe that the actions of those who see higher education as a necessary and invalid stepping stone in life should reflect badly upon those who experience personal growth as a result of process. Higher education is not the higher education of yesteryear; what was once considered to be a process by which individuals become more intelligent has become a process through which individuals grow and are able to better relate and participate in society. But maybe I'm just not grasping your argument well. At the very least, it was an interesting take on an issue that is incredibly pertinent to a large portion of the United States.
I can feel your anger in your post. However I disagree with a lot that was said. To me it seems that you are more angry with your choice of attending college but not actually with the system of college. Some people enjoy attending college, like to get a higher education, and want to gain the college experience. Yes, it is unfortunate that some college students will work harder than others but still gain the same degree. But, this does not mean that both parties will end up in the same positions in life. The person who works harder, most likely will end up reaping what they sewn. Also, What about those that do not attend college at all? Do you feel that they will have the same advantages that you and I will? I do not believe so at all. I have witnessed people without a higher education grind in life just to survive, to be able to pay bill, to be able to eat, etc. I believe that with a college degree we will have a much better chance of beating those circumstances.
ReplyDelete