Sunday, December 2, 2012

Choosing Enlightenment



One of most interesting concepts we covered in class was Kant's idea of enlightenment. In his writing he discusses what the true meaning of enlightenment is and how one tries to attain it. Kant believes that enlightenment is thwarted by laziness and cowardice, or rather self-imposed immaturity. Kant describes immaturity as lacking the ability to think for yourself and relying on others to guide you. He believes society has made it so easy for us to not use our own reasoning that immaturity has become in our nature. It is difficult to then break from that and become enlightened. He states that very few people have truly achieved it.

After reading about Kant, I began to think for myself about what it means to be enlightened. I found Kant's definition to be very agreeable. I do believe enlightenment is the ability to use your own reasoning to evaluate the world around you. I also agree with the idea that lack of enlightenment can be due to choice and a person can choose to be ignorant. However, I also believe that there are circumstances in which an individual does not have the choice in being immature as Kant defines it. I feel that your environment can dictate your ability to be enlightened.



For example, I come from a very small town where you will find very little diversity. Being apart of one of the very few minorities in my town, I found it difficult to understand why most people held certain prejudices against others. I felt that they looked down at anything that was remotely different than the way they lived. I used to think of my peers as being immature and ignorant in school, because they had little knowledge of the outside world.



Then I began to realize that it may not be their fault that they think or feel certain things. I am very fortunate to have the ability to travel frequently to Jordan, the country my family is from. There, I am exposed to an entirely different culture and a way of life. I find myself excited to experience new things and embracing the rich culture. I am lucky enough to be able to relate to two different types of people, my American friends and my Arab family. I find good and bad things from each culture and learn to appreciate each one for what it is. My friends from my hometown, however, may have lived there their entire lives there and only have the capacity to understand the things that happen there.

A person could spend their entire life in the same town, going to the same places, and being around the same people. They are guided by the same principles and people, because they don't know any other way of living. How can they choose to be enlightened if they have never known anything other than their constant surroundings?

It may be that people who are able to attend a place like U of M are enlightened, because of the diversity that we are lucky enough to be a part of. I feel that since going to school here, I've acquired a more open mind and greater sense of my own thoughts. Do you think enlightenment is a choice? Or do you believe that it can be determined by your environment?

Sources for images:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/Midwest/Ohio/Marietta/photo1010480.htm

http://oselshenphenling.blogspot.com/2012/10/outline-of-path-to-enlightenment.html

http://ukkoelhob.blogspot.com/2012/04/emancipation-from-europes-arabo-judeo.html


3 comments:

  1. I think your mention of Kant's theory that a lack of enlightenment comes from self imposed immaturity is interesting. In today's culture, especially that of the American people, there is a high level of immaturity as defined by Kant. The American people currently have an issue with following their own ideals and coming up with their own beliefs. With twitter, facebook, and other social media websites, the youth of this country are especially in danger of never achieving "enlightenment." This problem will ultimately result in a lack of enlightenment for the American people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that enlightenment has many different scales. I think for different people who come from different areas than myself coming to the University of Michigan would be enlightening but for me, it was not very different from what I see day to day. I think that enlightenment can both be determined by your environment and a choice. For example, I volunteer in Detroit often and that is a choice to be enlightened. I think that the exposure to a city like that and my ability to see past what I see on the news and instead see the immense potential that takes life in the people who thrive there can be enlightening. I also see that people are thrown into experiences of enlightenment unknowingly. For example, a close friend of mine roomed blind and ended up with a black roommate. She is from a large wasp/Jewish community with few minorities and for that reason, it was enlightenment based on environment. She did not choose this enlightenment but it was thrown upon her. I think both are very good for people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, Blair. I agree with what you're saying, that enlightenment can be both due to choice and environment. At the same time, I was wondering if someone was to reside in the same environment their entire life and never become enlightened, would it really be their fault? Again, it does depend on the situation, but I was commenting on Kant's description of immaturity coming from laziness. In my experience, some people are not enlightened purely because of their environment, but then is it on them to choose to be enlightened? But I do think it can be said that enlightenment comes from both choice and environment.

    ReplyDelete