Saturday, December 8, 2012

Dirty Hands in Watchmen

A couple weeks ago I finally got around to watching the film Watchmen and I instantly realized two things.  First, I realized that Watchmen contains arguably the best movie intro of all time.  Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin" meshes brilliantly with the comic book like intro video.  Secondly, I realized that the ending directly applies to political science.  The ending is a textbook example of Dirty Hands.


Watchmen takes place in an alternate 1980s where the existence of the Watchmen, a group of costumed crimefighters, has drastically affected the course of the Cold War.  The most important of the Watchmen is Dr. Manhattan, who, through a scientific accident, has become an almost god-like superhero.  Dr. Manhattan has an ability to see into the future, but his vision has been blurred, perhaps due to the high probability of a nuclear war in the future.

Manhatten's abilities help allow the United States win the Vietnam War, leading to Nixon being re-elected multiple times.  The Soviet Union and the United States stand at odds, but the presence of Dr. Manhattan gives the U.S a big advantage over the soviets.  It could be argued that his presence is what has averted nuclear war so far.


Dr. Manhattan
Adrian Veidt
Because it's such a long movie (162 minutes according to IMDB) and because it's not necessary to understand the Dirty Hands ending, I'm going to skip over most of the plot.  At the end, massive explosions erupt in some of the world's largest cities, including New York.  Millions of people are killed.

It's revealed that these explosions were set up by Adrian Veidt, one of the watchmen, who blew up multiple energy reactors that he had created with the aid of Dr. Manhattan.  They were supposedly built in order to help provide free energy for the world, but Adrian had bigger ideas.  He blew up the reactors in such a way that it looked like Dr. Manhattan had caused the explosions.

The belief that Dr. Manhattan caused the explosions lead to the Soviet Union and the United States coming to peace against a common enemy, which was Adrian's plan all along.  He realized that by killing millions, he could save billions from nuclear war.  He dirties his hands by killing millions of people, much like Harry Truman when he dropped the atomic bomb on Japan.  He has also framed a good character in Dr. Manhattan.  It's important to note that Adrian himself did not get anything out of doing this.  He did what he did purely for the benefit of the state.

The other Watchmen realize that by revealing the truth, they will only lead the world to the brink of nuclear war again.  They decided to go along with Adrian's lies.  By hiding the truth from the public, the other Watchmen have also dirtied their hands.

Since learning about the concept of Dirty Hands, I've been increasingly noticing it in movies and media.  The notion of someone doing bad for the greater good always makes for an interesting storyline.  In what other movies have you guys noticed dirty hands playing a role?



3 comments:

  1. Brett,

    Although I'm not sure I recall all the intricacies of Watchmen, I think this is a very interesting post. I think that this specific example is more interesting than many others because usually when a person dirties his/her hands, everyone else around them disagrees with their decision to do so, however, as you have explained it, it seems that the remaining Watchmen see the reasons why Adrian has acted as he has, and they agree with him.

    I think the best example of dirty hands in a movie besides Watchmen is probably The Dark Night, as explained in another post on this blog "Dirty Hands and The Dark Knight: The Tragic Hero". Besides that, I think The Departed as well as Donnie Brasco are good examples of dirty hand. In both movies there is an undercover agent (Costigan and Brasco respectively) who is required to participate in criminal activity in order to finally bring the offenders to justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett and Kyle,

    Once I read this post, The Dark Knight came straight to mind. I think this post is completely right. Adrian had to get his hands dirty and the rest of the Watchmen in order to save billions of people. Any vigilante movie or super hero movie could work. Technically Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Iron Man, and all other super heroes are breaking the law. They all are doing good but getting their hands dirty. However I think Adrian got his hands a little to Dirty. By the numbers it was a good call, but no one should have to be sacrificed in order for the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think they necessarily agree with him. By the time they completely figure everything out, the deed has already been done. They really have no choice but to go along with it. If they reveal the lie to the public, the millions of deaths have been for nothing. However, by not revealing the lie they're earning dirty hands themselves. The Dark Knight is exactly like this. Those who know the truth about Harvey Dent and Batman need to hide what he did, or all the work will be for naught.

    I think Jeffrey brings up a good point. Is there a point where a leader should say "My hands would be too dirty" from a possible action? Even if it might be the best end, is there a point where an action is just too morally gray to even consider? Harry Truman's bomb is the real life example that best mirrors this.

    ReplyDelete