... or the idea of it
![]() |
| William Cronon Photo from pbs.org |
Right after fall
study break, as I’m sure you all remember, we were assigned William
Cronon’s essay The Trouble with the
Wilderness; or, Getting Back to the
Wrong Nature. I have to admit, I had a very hard time fully trying to
understand Cronon’s argument and have reread and marked up this article
numerous times in hopes to better comprehend his thoughts. Since I chose to
answer prompt number four for the second conventional essay, I had to conquer
this issue and become very comfortable discussing Cronon’s ideas. For those of
you who did not spend as much time as I did with this piece, here’s a brief overview:
![]() |
| Wilderness? Photo from Wikipedia |
William Cronon
explains the continuously changing perspectives of the Wilderness concept. He
argues that our predisposition to favor Wilderness over civilization is due to
our romanticized notion of the “sublime” with respect to God and the American
canon, which glorifies our frontier origins. In essence, he splits Wilderness
into two parts: the frontier and the sublime. The sublime perspective considers
the Wilderness to be a place where people come in contact with the divine
forces and is a very spiritual place. The frontier origin is described as
“peculiarly American, though it too had its European antecedents and
parallels.” Cronon begins his essay with the following statement that really
set my brain off:
“The time has
come to rethink wilderness.”
The first time I
read this quote, I thought… what does this even mean? Cronon makes the argument
in his essay that we now have an idea of wilderness rather than having an
actual place that is designated to be wilderness. Cronon does not seem to believe
that places such as the numerous national parks that we have preserved and
remain untouched by humans are considered to be nature. He claims that it is
all an idea. I discussed the ideas within his essay with a few of the students
enrolled in our class and read over all the blog posts that had to do with
Cronon’s article in order to continue to try and grasp what Cronon was talking
about. Finally, I read this
post and I finally could make a personal analogy to relate my experiences
with Cronon’s ideas.
![]() |
| Just like the one I held! Photo courtesy of thebutterflyjungle.blogspot.com |
I thought back
to a vacation to Florida I went on with my family a few years back. We went to
a butterfly museum where you basically walk through this greenhouse filled with
hundreds of beautiful butterflies. Just as Kevin fed the squirrel, I purchased
this power like food to put on my finger in order to attract the butterflies to
my hands. I remember the very moment that this beautiful butterfly landed
promptly on the side of my hand and began to tickle me. In this very moment, I
too admit that I felt this strange connection with nature, the wilderness and
the wild- even though I was in the middle of a man made glass house filled with
artificial trees and feeding this butterfly some weird- unnatural sugar… My
experience supports the fact that we may need to reevaluate what wilderness is
defined as or perhaps we should attempt to make a few distinctions. I wonder if
my feelings would differ I got the opportunity to perhaps touch a live elephant
in Thailand in comparison to touching an elephant at the zoo? Would I feel the
same element of nature during both experiences? What do you think?



No comments:
Post a Comment