Monday, December 10, 2012
During this semester, many of our peers have written about the girl who was first to play quarterback on a high school football team in relations to the reading "Throwing Like a Girl". Erin DiMeglio obviously caused a lot of controversy when she decided to join the all boys football team at South Plantation High School. The article by Iris Young was also a very controversial topic. I am interested in knowing how everyone else felt about a female quarterback, and also if there are any people that agree with Young's ideas about gender. For my female bloggers, I would also like to know how many of you would be up to playing on an all boys football team? Would you feel that you are at a disadvantage?
Gender plays no role when she plays
In my opinion, Iris Young is right. Woman's abilities are altered by the way that they think and the things that they are taught. Gender does not affect the abilities we have as humans. Yes a male's body is different from a female's body, however I believe in the term "mind over matter". The question of whether or not a female can accomplish the same tasks as males is not determined by the biology of their body, but the thoughts in their minds. Erin DiMeglio is 5'5 in height and weighs 140 pounds. Some males on football teams are around the same weight and height.
The size of the of a football player can vary no matter what a person's gender is. The actual capability of being able to accomplish tasks comes from the mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I THINK I CAN RUN OVER NDAMUKONG SUH SO I CAN RUN OVER NDAMUKONG SUH
ReplyDeleteI wrote about this topic for my first blog. I would agree that a large portion of the difference in athletic ability is "mind over matter." Girls do not have the same aggressive nature that males have. (generally speaking) I think that women can over come this, but they have to work twice as hard to do it. I am curious to see if the girl in the article continues playing football at a higher level.
ReplyDelete