Monday, December 10, 2012

What's The Point?

University of Michigan Law Quad
With finals approaching us quickly, I find myself asking the same question as many other students across the University of Michigan campus, "what's the point?" This question made me reflect on my time in Political Science 101 and brought me back to the first article we read this year which was "Live and Learn" by Louis Menand. In this article he discusses the various theories for why students go to college and why they voluntarily do things that make them unhappy (such as class, studying, etc.) His three theories are the following:





            1) College is a tool for determining who   is the smartest over a wide range of subjects.
            2) College is a place where you learn about things you would not learn about otherwise
            3) College is a tool that teaches students technical skills that they can apply in the real world.

After reading this I found myself asking, "why did I decide to go to college, instead of getting a job right out of high school?" My answer is that I want to get a career that pays me more than an entry level job would. However, I have found that it is college really is not about the knowledge you actually gain, but it is more about learning how to navigate through problems, manage your time, and get what needs to be done, done. Granted you will learn tons of things that are helpful in your job, but for many careers, this could be taught on the job. For this reason I think the best theory for college is theory 3. College is a tool that teaches students how to navigate through their day to day activities and responsibilities.

Business Office
Being a business major, it is safe to say that I will probably not be required to use my knowledge of political science on a day to day basis at work. However, I will be required to be able to read and comprehend various documents, as well as generate arguments and opinions about whatever I am working on. These are skills I have learned in Political Science 101 through reading articles and writing papers/blogs. It is the tools I used to do my homework, not the content itself, that will be useful in the future.

These skills that are learned in the wide range of classes that a student will take throughout their college career are the most important skills attained at college. That being said, it is still important to get decent grades to prove that you are capable of using these skills to navigate through a course. It is all about problem solving and being able to navigate your way through something that you don't actually know.

To bring this blog to a close, I think it is important that everyone tries hard on their finals and puts in the effort to do well, but don't forget what is really important in the grand scheme of things. Learn from the mistakes you made in planning and organizing your time, and try to take away an applicable skill from each class. My advice is to relax, stop worrying so much about getting an A in every class, and remember what is important in the long run for what you really want to do with your life.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. I agree 100% that the main focus of college is to learn things from your experience. It is not all about what you learn in the class. I can say that I am a much better student as a sophomore than I was as a freshman. This is because the experiences that I had during my freshman year prepared me for my sophomore year. I learned how to better plan, schedule, study, interview, read, eat, and so much more. The experience of going to college is what makes people qualified for jobs. Going to college will make a person well rounded while at the same time teaching them things that they wouldnt otherwise have learned. It was a very good point to tell that you will probably not use the material from this course in your field but you still will be able to take things from the class. I couldnt agree more with your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While just a year and a half ago I might have supported the 2nd theory, I think I now support the 3rd theory. College is about so much more than just classes. As the quote says, "Don't let college interfere with your education." Just being on campus allows you to interact with people from around the U.S. and globe that you might not interact with otherwise. You become better in social situations and become more confident in yourself. You learn to live on your own and plan out your days better. It's definitely more than just lectures.

    Also, as technology progressed, I feel the 2nd theory begins to have less and less truth to it. I feel like you're able to teach yourself almost all of the material learned in classes (at least the classes I've taken thus far). Tools like the internet are extremely useful for finding information, and you can find lecturers give talks about certain subjects on websites like youtube. In today's day and age, you can find the information you learn in college outside of college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your post. Your last paragraph hit my ideals spot on. Although grades may be important, the overall comprehension and understanding of material is what matters. The attitude going into a class shouldn't be "I'm going to get the best grade in the class" rather, it should be "I'm going to learn the most material in the class". Expanding on what Brett said in the previous comment, getting a good grade in the class won't spark confidence if you don't know the material. However, if you are well rounded with your experience and knowledge, confidence will flourish.

    I definitely agree with Menand's third theory as well. For me, college is completely preparing myself for the future. College is a way to find out what I want to do in my life and learn how to do it. The skills while learned in college should help anyone excel during the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the positive feedback. I have had many of the same experiences as you guys talked about from my first to second year. Last year I was only concerned about the grade and I feel like I missed out on a lot. This year I have become even more involved in extracurricular activities that I think have made me a much better student. We go to an amazing university that has so much to offer and I feel like many people over look these great opportunities.

    ReplyDelete