As I sat down to write my last blog post, I started brainstorming different ideas of what to write about. Should I talk about Marxism? The Enlightenment? Maybe a little bit of Machiavelli? I wasn't sure, but then I realized, why not discuss the course itself? After all, the grading rubric for blog posts does state that we should engage an Idea from the course. So why not the ideas behind the course?
Before I get started, I want to say that I greatly enjoyed the course. Having said that, I do want to look at the course in an objective manner while still drawing from my personal experience. (Here's a link to the course website if you want to understand the grading system) Let's get started.
My Experience
Rolling into lecture the first day I was immediately intrigued by the grading scheme of this class. Not only did we not have any exams (Hallelujah!), but our grades could not be "punished"- we weren't able to lose points. This added a great sense of security for me as a student who generally is more reserved in class. I began to realize that since I would never be punished for trying something new in the classroom, I might as well go right ahead and take risks! What did it matter if I answered a question wrong? I wouldn't be penalized for it.
When I began to start navigating different assignments for the class as well as investing my Kapital, I felt in control of my own destiny. I was able to only do the assignments that I wanted to do. If I felt stressed out without enough time-no problem! I could just opt out of the assignment for the day without any judgment from my professor because that is how the system worked. You only have to do what gets you enough points.
Not only was it convenient to be able to pick and choose what I wanted to do, I felt that because of this I was better able to absorb the material presented in lecture. For some reason, when I knew that I wasn't going to be tested on content, learning became more enjoyable. I wasn't learning to do well on tests. I was learning this stuff so that I could apply it to my assignments. The way the course was taught made me realize that the endgame was about what you were learning and how you could apply it. I don't know about you guys, but that sounds like something we will have to do in the real world. Maybe Professor LaVaque-Manty is on to something?
Moving further into the class it became apparent that if I wanted to do well, I needed to think through how I was going to aquire enough points. It wasn't enough to simply coast along and hope for the best like most college students seems to do. I had to create my own customized plan of attack, and while Professor LaVaque-Manty could guide us in this, he wasn't going to hold our hands. This was a great lesson learned. Every person in the class had their own plan of attack (kind of like the real world) and so it was impossible for our Professor to keep track of us all. If I wanted to write a blog post or start a group project, it was up to me.
In the end, I guess one could sum up what I've learned through this course into four categories.
1. Autonomy
I was responsible for my own decisions and how I wanted to attack the course. I found that this freedom helped encourage me to take risks and try things I hadn't done before. It was actually kind of fun to be in a class where everyone was doing something different and you could discuss different strategies for attacking the course.
2. Communication
Whether it was with my GSI or group project members, I had to learn to communicate my ideas in order to do well in this course. It was essential.
3. Making Connections
Through this course I began to learn how to apply the ideas I was learning in class to the world around me. I found that especially for the blog posts I needed to be able to make these connections in order to succeed. While making these connections helped me do well on assignments in the class, they were also really fun to make. I enjoyed sitting down and trying to connect Walzer to Batman or Cronon to Squirrels because it was like a fun little game. How creative could I be?
4. The Real World
I would say that this course definitely taught me political theory, but what may have been almost more important was how it portrayed the real world to me. In the real world, there is no one size fits all way of doing things and the class illustrated that perfectly. We were able to be presented with an objective (gain points and learn the material) and then create a plan that worked for us in order to get there. This plan could capitalize on our strengths and interests (it also taught us new skills!).
Final Thoughts
In the end, what did I think of this grading method?
I guess I thought that it was a unique way of teaching us life skills other than what the course centered on. I learned to value the courses diverse assignments as well as ways of presenting information. This appreciation helped foster an atmosphere of freedom where I felt I could take risks in the classroom and pursue new ideas.
Would I prefer this method over the traditional way?
In some ways yes, but in others no. I felt the course was great for helping us learn and make connections, but it was also somewhat scary knowing your fate was up to you. I guess that's the point really. Life is scary (maybe not in the Hobbsean view...), but you have to learn to deal with it. I think if I began to have more classes with this unorthodox grading method, I would be able to better deal with this fear.
Overall, I applaud Professor LaVaque-Manty for being willing to stand up and test out this method. I feel that with more exposure to the grading method, universities could begin to look at it in a more plausible light.
What has everyone else thought about the course and its grading method?
(Credits: "Political Theory" picture is taken from our course website "Final Thoughts" picture was in public domain)

Kevin,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you about the grading and content of this course. Yes we are in college but this is the first class where I have actually felt like I am truly treated like an adult (in the sense of what things are actually going to be like after we graduate). Because, yes, all of our other professors treat us with respect and definitely don't act like we are in high school, but for the first time ever, we really were on our own. All the other grading systems that I have had in classes are just like high school grading scales, but with less assignments and tests weighted much more. But in those classes, you still are told exactly what to do, when it's due, and how to do it. You were completely spot on when you said that this is the first class that really prepares you for real life because you are completely on your own. No one is going to tell you what to do or how to do it or when to do it. Everyone is really your call. That is what I expect after college and this class gave us a all a little preview of it.
I also completely agree with what you said about how this class made us make connections between political theory and the world around us. That, for me, was why I liked doing blogging as well. This was one of the few classes I have taken in my life that wasn't completely boring because we got to discuss ideas to things we were interested in. I loved writing blog posts when I could write about my favorite shows like Breaking Bad or the political campaign.
Overall I agree with you that this had a really beneficial grading system, but at the same time it was really nerving to go in not having any clue what you would end up doing.
I agree with both of you. This class gave me the chance to actually focus on learning. I wasn't worried about memorizing all the material or having to take super intensive notes so that I could study for the test. Actually I ended up taking no notes, and that worked for me. All I had to do during lecture was sit back and listen. What if I wasn't interested in the topic? Maybe I didn't have to pay attention, but it was all up to me. The structure of the course really let learn the material. And the way the assignments were set up, I was able to apply the material to the real world much more than I have in other classes.
ReplyDeleteBut that being said, this system doesn't work for all classes. Take for example a science class, where there are only 3 tests and the average for each is below a 60. In this case a scale is much more beneficial than this kind of grading scheme, it all depends on the class.
I agree with you on the grading system as well. I have heard a lot of complaints about the way it works, but overall I enjoyed the way it was set up. It gave us the opportunity to decide for ourselves how we wanted to learn, something that most professors would hardly give their time to acknowledge, and it also allowed us to decide how to spend our own time. In other words, Professor Lavaque-Manty gave us full control over our grade. There was no curve and no exams, simply separate assignments that we could choose, or not choose, to complete. However, I do agree with Abhilash that this is not a good grading system for every subject. It fits this class well because this class is set up in a very discussion-friendly way in that we have the freedom to discuss our thoughts and choose what we think about the topics, whereas in a math course we are told what to think, simply because that is the way the subject is. But overall, I definitely agree with you that it was an interesting and successful way at running a course.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the remarks above, I really enjoyed this grading system because I could control my grade. If I didn't want to do a reading, I didn't have to, it's not like we were going to be tested on it. However, passing this class requires some level of discipline which I believe all the people who are taking this class now have, if they didn't have it before. This is because with more power comes greater responsibility; you are responsible for your grade. You didn't do that reading, well you didn't get the points,which might affect your final grade. You can't blame your grade on a difficult exam, no, not in this class.
ReplyDeleteAll in all, this was a really interesting course, and the grading system was just the icing on the cake.