In lecture, we have studied how Thomas Hobbes argued that, "fear of untimely death is the prime motivator explaining why free individuals give up freedom." Hobbes’ use of fear to stimulate results is represented by coaches today particularly in college and pro sports. The concept of using fear to rule people can be seen in our lives from even a very early age. Every child who has participated in sports can remember his or her favorite or worst coach. There is absolutely no question that an athlete's experience within his sport is almost completely colored by the type of coach he is lucky or unlucky to draw. Good coaches teach you to love the sport. They inspire you to dream big and take risks in order to reach your goal. They motivate you to work hard, push through suffering and exhaustion and to overcome obstacles in your way. Good coaches turn players into a better, happier and more confident person.
"The condition of man .......is a condition of war of everyone against everyone." (Thomas Hobbes)
A bad coach on the other hand, teaches very different lessons. Through his treatment of his players and the exchanges with those around him, he will turn off his athletes to the sport.
He takes away the player's love of the game. He steals their self confidence and motivation and displaces it with self-doubt and lack of motivation. He actually takes away the athlete's hopes and dreams and makes him fear failure on and off of the field. Under the worst of coaching, the lessons learned are limiting and destructive. Emotional abuse, jealousy, head games, and selfishness are all insensitive and unproductive issues that really get in the way of the goal , and that is to be the best you and your team can be on the court and off. A coach that stands out as an excellent example of Thomas Hobbes's fear driven theory when in charge is Bobby Knight, the one time coach of the Indiana Hoosiers from 1971-2000. He also coached at Texas Tech for 7 years as well as at West Point. Knight was nicknamed "The General" which embodies Hobbes's quest for a dictator- style leadership . Knight was known for his violent temper with his players as well as referees and game officials. He pushed a player's chin in a well known exchange, in an attempt to get the player's attention. He was also accused of grabbing a player by the throat and was fired. But, he always seemed to get hired again. He was often seen pulling a player off the court by his jersey while yelling obscenities at him. His players taped an explosive outburst where he screamed vulgarities and four-letter words at them while in the team locker room when they lost to Purdue. His most famous lewd act was throwing a chair across the court at referees after he received a technical foul. He was kicked out of the game.
'"Force and Fraud are in war the two cardinal virtues!' (Thomas Hobbes)
Interestingly, Bobby Knight has almost fanatical devotion from some former players and the fans of Indiana. He was a successful and innovative coach perfecting the "motion offense."
Knight won 902 NCAA division I men's college basketball games. Knight received the National Coach of the Year honor four times and the Big Ten Coach of the Year eight times. He ran a clean team - none of his teams were ever in trouble for recruiting violations. It is compelling though abusive and demeaning coaches win they are considered brilliant, great coaches, no matter how corrupt they may be. I think winning is great and who wants to lose? But in my opinion, the outcome has little to do with the caliber of the coach. Really good coaches end up winning anyway. I would also like to empathize with the no-win situations that many coaches are placed in today, specifically, college players in March Madness and the finals of the men and women's NCAA basketball championships. When you think of the men's NCAA tournament, sixty-eight teams begin the tournament, so there will be 67 losers! That means 67 coaches will go out "failing." The media and the fans will be brutal towards these coaches. They will have to answer to their administrators and will face losing their jobs. They will fear being replaced. The athletes will regret signing with these coaches. The effective job that these coaches were actually doing with these players will not even be realized by everyone. The pressure of coaching is overwhelming. Does this justify fear and abuse in coaching? I do not believe it does but the demands of coaching at an elite level remain and if they are not winning coaches they are not considered successful or good at what they do. If they don't win the big one then they have not really made it. Let's face it, the real barometer for many coaches is how many big titles they have won.
To sum it up, I think your personal ego and self-worth have to be strong enough as a coach to keep winning in perspective and to successfully survive the pressures in today's crazy and intense sports world. How about you, would you ever take on coaching at the college or even high school level today? Would you ever use fear to control your player? How would you handle it as a parent if a coach was using manipulative tactics s to provoke your son or daughter? What is the solution? I think we have to strike a balance of proper and effective motivation within reason at a competitive level without fear. Is it possible? The fact of the matter is it has to be because really good coaches are getting harder to find.

Dillon,
ReplyDeleteI am not sure if you have ever had an experience with an old-fashioned, hard-ass type coach, but I have. My varsity football coach asked for more out of his players than any other coach I had ever had. He would personally attack players, not afraid to call anyone out in front of the team. With that said, he is undoubtedly my favorite coach I have ever had. Under his strict, forceful leadership, I was able to accomplish more than I ever would have under a coach of a different style. In my opinion, it is all about how people react to criticism. Some of my best friends hated this coach and still hate him to this day. I consider fear of messing up one of the greatest motivators, and I think it is still respectable to coach in a way that is becoming increasingly less allowed. Modern society does not appreciate the coach that bullies the parents kids, but I think valuable life lessons can be learned from that type of coach, as I have seen from my own experiences. Furthermore, if there were one coach still alive today that I could play for it would be Bob Knight. He asks a lot out of his players, and at times he is harsh, but, just like my high school football coach, he only wants to see his players succeed in the end. With that said, this is a very thought-provoking post and a very interesting tie to Hobbes.
Hey Dillion, I think coaches like Bobby Knight are the best because they get the most out of their players by invoking fear into them. Bobby Knight was one of the greatest basketball coaches at any level because his players were scared of disappointing him. His players' fear made them play harder, better, faster, and stronger because they did not want to feel the wrath of Knight. I personally have had an experience with a coach similar to Knight and he was the best I ever played for. My soccer coach, Fallah, was from Iraq and was their National team's coach. Fallah, during a game would call his players over and scream at them to get his point across, while the game was in progress. As a result, myself and my teammates did precisely what he said because he scared us and we did not want to get yelled at. I think you have to be a totalitarian coach to be considered the best and bring your team to victory. In the future I hope to coach soccer at the high school level or higher because I love the game and want to help young players get better.
ReplyDelete