Monday, November 12, 2012

Truth vs. Representation in the Presidential Election

Although the presidential election concluded with President Obama's decisive win last week, there are still lessons to be learned from the drawn out campaigns of both candidates. A few weeks ago Professor LaVaque-Manty discussed the idea of truth vs. representation. From the debates to stump speeches, this presidential campaign, more than any other in recent history, featured distortion of facts and statements aimed solely at making a candidate seem more appealing. From Facebook statuses to overhearing others talk at the polls, it was disturbing to see how little people actually knew about the facts on either side.

In order to address the lack of truth and focus on representation along the campaign trail, the first and most prominent example to look at is the debates. Everyone saw that Governor Romney won the first debate, as he came out ready to fight, and was clear and precise in his arguments where President Obama was not. Even though I agreed that Governor Romney won, the focus of the media and those that watched was all wrong. Far too many people focused on the President's lack of enthusiasm, rather than his lack of viable arguments.


The second debate, however, bothered me more than any other aspect of the entire campaign (see below). The President undoubtedly came out focused on being aggressive. With that said, people very frequently confuse aggression with strength. Rather than discuss his 1st term, the President came out attacking Governor Romney and essentially calling him a liar. From a style standpoint, the President was assertive, confident, etc. Social media sites blew up with people praising his performance. I, however, think he only succeeded in making himself appear more competent because people like to see someone overpower another.He did not tell anything of value for America's future, but rather attacked his opponent. To me, the President acted like Governor Romney was the incumbent, and he was the challenger.

The vice-presidential debate was another one that bothered me. Here is an up and coming Republican, finally telling people the truth that Medicare and Social Security need to be reformed in order for America to avoid the fiscal cliff. Rather than receiving credit for telling the hard to come by truth in politics, Paul Ryan is painted as a criminal who is attacking the elderly. The debate set in stone the fact that the entire election was focused on hiding people from as much of the truth as possible.

I understand that I am being biased in writing this, and I understand that this is probably going to bother a lot of people in a school dominated by liberals. I think the Obama campaign was based 100% on altering representation, and had almost nothing to do with the truth. While I did not find Romney's 5 point plan to be feasible, neither was Obama's promise 4 years ago to cut the deficit in half. The way the Obama campaign was run was flawed. The incumbent president is supposed to run a campaign based on the facts of his 1st term. Somehow President Obama, a man who amassed 4 straight trillion+ dollar deficits, was able to be reelected. Many times I found myself wondering if people even knew what a deficit was. Somehow President Obama managed to divert the attention of viewers away from his own record and attack the record of Governor Romney.

To be fair, the Obama campaign was a masterpiece. Rather than focus on the truth of his own first term, the President managed to paint a picture of Governor Romney as some sort of criminal. Focusing solely on the facts of their records, Governor Romney is very moderate and has a strong history of bipartisanship  he at least deserves that. Instead, the Obama campaign worked so well that people on my newsfeed on Facebook were posting statuses such as "If you vote for Romney, you are voting for your grandparents to die." It was unbearable to me when I saw President Obama, as well as half my friends list, focusing on Big Bird rather than the economy, focusing on binders rather than debt. The 2012 election should have been about the economy and the debt, that much is fact. But through a masterful campaign, misrepresentation once again dominated truth.

The Obama campaign was successful because it made Governor Romney appear as all that is bad in America. The hard truth about what America is facing in the upcoming months was pushed behind almost irrelevant issues. To me, there is no greater example of misrepresentation trumping truth than in the recent election. Also, I understand this was a biased post that only brushed over a lot of major issues so feel free to offer some opposition.


7 comments:

  1. Brendan,

    As you admit, your post is a bit slanted in its views, but the points you raise are all valid. I too became fed up with all the social media - for lack of a better word - bullshit that was posted. Groups on Facebook like "Re-elect President Obama" would post these posts that skewed the facts and painted Romney as a devil and then in turn get blindly following liberals to make baseless statuses. My favorite argument is that Romney is a multi-millionaire so there's no way he's in touch with the American people. All he wants is money, money, money and he's a greedy SOB for it. Well, Obama has a net worth of over ten million. I'd say that's a quite a good fortune.

    I'm glad the election is over, however. I was getting fed up with both sides, the political slander, and those people on the Diag who wouldn't stop pestering people about voting for what seemed like a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan,

    I find it very interesting that you think that the Obama campaign was somehow more vicious or misleading than the Romney campaign. Though this may be an extension of the Republican party, and not a part of the Romney campaign, need I remind you of the ridiculous "Birther Movement". In addition, Romney helped to paint himself as "criminal": during the primaries, Romney made many statements that make him seem as though he is against the general good of the American people "Planned Parenthood...we're gonna get rid of that". Not only would this hurt many men and women who are seeking preventative care, but "every dollar invested by the government for contraception saves $3.74 in Medicaid expenditures for pregnancy-related care related to births from unintended pregnancies" according to the Guttmacher Institute. Would someone who wants what's best for America wish to waste government funds and prevent women from having preventative cancer screenings and STD screenings? I doubt it. This is just one example of the many things Mitt Romney has said that seem to put him at odds with the general public, as according to womenarewatching.org, 69% of Americans support federal funding for Planned Parenthood.
    This is only one of the many issues where Mitt Romney is at odds with the American masses (Don't even get me started about the 47%...), and only one of the many instances where he helped to paint himself as some sort of villain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mollie,

    Just a few comments on some of the information you posted. First off, Romney was saying that he would get rid of federal funding for Planned Parenthood, yes, but Planned Parenthood is not a government organization. Cutting federal funding for a program that the government should not be involved in anyway is not a crime. I don't understand how he is wasting the government fundings, as he is saving funding that would have been instead spent in an area where the government has no business. Doesn't exactly seem like criminal action to me, and I am liberal with regards to social issues. Planned Parenthood would still exist if Romney was president. Second, by citing the "Birther Movement" you are reinforcing exactly what I wrote about in this paper, that the ideals of radical social conservatives were applied to a man that has been, according to his record, extremely moderate. Basically, what I was trying to say was that, as a nation, we are $16 trillion in debt. If Mitt Romney were president today, I bet there would not be one difference in the policy of the government with regards to social issues. As a whole, government has a very minimal role in social issues, and it is usually something used during campaigns as a way to judge the character of a president. President Obama, however, brought social issues to the forefront of an election that should have been based on the economy, basically because he is inept with regards to economic policy and fiscal responsibility, and, apparently it worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brendan, I will offer some counter arguments to some of your points, but first I think it is worth discussing the point of this blog, which is its connection with lecture and the class' syllabus. You said that the campaign is largely about painting a particular candidate as the better/stronger/more appealing commander-in-chief, and I agree with that. But is there something fundamentally wrong with that? Certainly not. Politics is, I think, inherently a theatrical profession. One must convince voters why they are better, and that certainly entails putting one's best foot forward- even if it means doing so in a "controversial" way. To connect this to the dirty hands argument, I personally believe that Americans are wrong to wish for a non-argumentative/negative campaign season. As incumbent, Obama certainly is in a position where he needs to defend his position. After the first debate, Obama realized that he needed to get off the defensive, for Romney was doing a great job of portraying Obama's failures in office- Obama needed to convince viewers (voters) why Romney was the bad one, not himself. I'd argue that, even if a person hates negative ads and attacking opponents in a race, to do so is necessary if one wishes to have a chance at winning the presidency: there is no option other than to dirty one's hands.
    Included within the game of dirty politics is the problem of forming one's opinion on issues. Though you say that Mitt stands moderately on social issues, to do so ignores his comments in this election cycle (I believe you are remembering his stance during Governor). When he ran for governor, he did have much more moderate social stances, you're correct (coincidence that he was running in a blue state? I think not). However, as he approached the election, Romney's campaign ads made purposeful shoves to label Mitt as a "severe" conservative-- something they wouldn't have needed to defend if his record proved such. Then, as Mitt took another look at his "severe" nature near the end of the campaign, he calmed down his partisanship just in time to grab any last-minute undecided voters (the strong republicans were already on board). Click here for a NYTimes article concerning that switch: http://tinyurl.com/ayoxgvr.
    And the thing is, both campaigns do it. Both campaigns had at least 79% of negative ads (because they work). As potential idealists, we don't like to think that politics requires aggression in debates, but as realists, we must realize that this behavior is how candidates attract their base. I'd push against the idea that Mitt is a moderate until the day I die, but I won't put forth many of those arguments. I will simply say that Mitt's assertion that Obama gave "gifts" to youth (in the form of cheaper education, rights to their parent's insurance, and free contraceptives) to get elected is hardly moderate. Republican Governor Bobby Jindal (Louisiana) agrees with me: Obama did not give gifts, but broadened his appeal, and even brought in much of the majority vote (or he wouldn't have won places like Iowa and New Hampshire, majority-white areas).

    I will finish by saying that though I agree with your assertion that politics is about representation versus the reality of the world, I will say three things:
    a) both sides do it
    b) politicians have been playing this game for hundreds of years (TVs just bring the arguments into their homes)
    and
    c) politics are dirty, so why fight the system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's look at slavery:

      a) both the North (at least some parts) and South permitted slavery
      b) slavery had been around for hundreds of years prior
      c) slavery helped with agriculture production, so why fight it? or better yet, since it was around for so long, why fight it?

      Because slavery is morally wrong. Just because something is widespread and has been around for a while doesn't make it right.

      Relating this back to politics, would you say that what John Quincy Adams & company did to Andrew Jackson's wife (Rachel Jackson) as just? They essentially killed her because of all the mudslinging. Oh but politics are all about dirty hands so it's all fair, right? This leads me to question why Obama didn't make ads calling Romney a bigamist and racist while Romney should've claimed Obama is a communist. Even though both would be completely wrong, according to you it'd all be in the 'theatrics' of the profession so acceptable.

      Delete
    2. Ryan,

      You misinterpret what I said by bringing up slavery (or mine were unclear). I never said not to question the status quo of institutions like slavery: I said that the process of running for president/public office entails dirtying one's hands. Slavery has no connection with this.

      Bringing up points like the 1828 election scandals certainly gives a good foreground for discussion about what is- and what is not- off limits with critique of political life. I would say that when someone runs for President or public office, they accept that people will say mean things about them- the same goes for celebrities. There is no option but to accept that some people will not like you and thus will probably speak ill against you. I am confused about your assertion of Romney being a bigamist because at least to my knowledge, he was only married once (correct me if I am wrong?). Do you mean polygamy, in reference to old Mormon faith practice? Sure, someone would be within their right to connect Romney's faith with polygamy, but to do so has no bearing upon his current lifestyle (or any Mormon's) nor his ability to serve properly in office.

      Indeed, though, Obama is and was called a communist. The ad that I saw most was purchased by a man who fled socialist Hungary and felt that Obama was leading America down the path he saw in ex-Soviet Eastern Europe, running commercial after commercial on CNN and other networks. You can watch the commercial on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnX7TNFIELg

      In my opinion, there simply isn't defense against open ability to critique public-sphere candidates. In my little knowledge of defamation (libel/slander) law, I believe that we even have standards built into the U.S. constitution (or maybe courts said so, I would have to do a lot more research) which says that public officials have a higher standard of proof to file a lawsuit against others (otherwise officials could prosecute people who disagreed with them). While we could argue whether it is PRODUCTIVE to "call names," it is a protected right (to an extent) to mudsling during elections. And, I don't think that culture of politics is going away any time soon.

      Delete
  5. Brendan,

    While I do not agree with all of your points, I believe you do make some good arguments. One of the most depressing things about recent Presidential Elections is that people no longer focus on the issues. You bring up a good point about how in the second debate Obama focused more on making Romney seem incompetent, rather than focus on what he would plan to do for his second term. By following this strategy Obama was declared the winner of the second debate. I believe this how to do with the fact that the general American population does not really care about the issues as much as they say they do. Some people will just vote for the presidential candidate that sounds good rather than vote for a candidate based on the issues at hand. This all stems from the fact that the American people as whole need to care more about the issues. If people made their decisions based solely on the issues the candidates would be forced to talk about the issues during debates rather than smearing each other.

    ReplyDelete