Monday, November 5, 2012

Machiavelli in US History



The first time I studied Machiavelli I was a sophomore in high school. Admittedly most of the ideas I had sophomore year weren’t so promising, but I still stand by my initial analysis of Machiavelli: he’s a badass. I can understand how someone would disagree with his policies and I can see why someone wouldn’t like to be ruled by Machiavelli himself. But I just can’t get myself to argue against him. The concept of fear over love is incredibly interesting to me, and I fully support it. Of course, as a citizen I would rather not fear my leaders, but as a leader I would rather get done what I set out to do. Love can be a great thing, but fear is a productive thing. In The Prince he writes, “Men are less worried about harming somebody who makes himself loved than someone who makes himself feared, for love is held by a chain of obligation which, since men are bad, is broken at every opportunity for personal gain. Fear, on the other hand, is maintained by a dread of punishment which will never desert you.”
Let’s consider my favorite example of why our good man Niccolo actually knows what he’s talking about. Remember Andrew Jackson? The president whose nickname was “Old Hickory” because of how tough he was? Well during his presidential term some of the southern states, lead by South Carolina, began refusing taxes. It was known as the Nullification Crisis, and they were purposely rebelling against the national government.
I argue with some confidence that it did not matter how much the Southern states loved or hated Andrew Jackson. Refusing taxes was an economic rebellion. They could have all loved Jackson, but they weren’t willing to pay. And if Andrew Jackson were so worried about his people loving him, maybe he would have handled the situation differently, but this was his response: “that if a single drop of blood shall be shed there in opposition to the laws of the United States, I will hang the first man I can lay my hand on engaged in such treasonable conduct, upon the first tree I can reach.” In order words, “pay the taxes or I’ll come down there and kill you with my bare hands.”



Yeah, it’s harsh; I’m not saying it isn’t. But then they started paying taxes. He used a scary threat to pull his states together, force them into following the rules, and get his shit done. He also paid off the entire national debt for the first and last time in American history. Now try and tell me his strategy didn’t work. How can you argue that? I just think that as a ruler there is nothing that comes from love that you can’t get by inducing fear…except more confidence that it will be effective.
            We can also consider Machiavelli’s argument that the prince may be harsh and intimidating but it’s always in the best interest of his people. Jackson prevented a secession of states and kept his entire country together by threatening them the way they did. Additionally, he was doing what was best for the national economy, which also obviously ended up benefitting his people in the end (even the South Carolinians).
            We can all agree that in an ideal world we love the leaders we listen to.  In an ideal world Jackson would be willing to find a compromise or let his people do as they please. But this isn’t an ideal world. He did what he had to do, and I respect that,t even if his hands got a little dirty in the process. 



Jackson's quote provided by: http://elektratig.blogspot.com/2009/08/two-andrew-jackson-stories.html


4 comments:

  1. I think you bring up an interesting point with the whole love versus hate concept and how it differs for the ruled and the ruler. I think we as a people much more so value leaders that are "lovable" rather than scary and feared. But, as a ruler you definitely have to instill a little fear in the people to make sure they follow the laws of the state. I think Jackson kinda broke the traditional rules when he got his hands a little dirty. Today if a president said something like that it would not be accepted, or I doubt even taken seriously. It is interesting though that it worked, and it makes me wonder if our leaders would be better off being a little more scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I'd have to agree with your views on Machiavelli's theory of fear over love. However, I'd like to approach this theory in regards to life situations other than positions of political leadership. Firstly, fear and love are two of the strongest feelings felt by humans. When fear is instilled within us, we tend to act differently than we normally would. Fear has the power to overcome the most profound qualities that make us who we are. Our opinions change, our actions, and maybe more of us changes than we realize. Although the power of love can do just as much and more, there is a noticeable difference between the outcomes of each emotion. Many people claim that love can make us do "crazy" things, but can love result in respect and obedience? Or is love to lenient of an emotion to gain control over individuals? These are questions that can be easily answered by observation of human interactions.

    Lets say a boss, Stan, of a major company has formed a relationship with one of his employees, Mitch. They tend to grab drinks after work and attend many sporting events together in Stan's presidential suite. However, as they grow closer Mitch begins to slack off. He tends to call in sick and miss important business meetings. Although Stan has adopted him as a close friend, he realizes Mitch's efforts are no longer suitable for the company. Consequently, Stan knows he must ask Mitch to leave the company, however, he is unsure of how to do so without hurting Mitch's feelings. Evidently, the respectable relationship between a boss and his employee is no longer in existence between Stan and Mitch. Stan's sincere friendliness ultimately caused Mitch to believe that he no longer had to fear his boss. Instead, Mitch's unruly behavior lacks in respect as he abuses the friendship he formed with Stan. He views their relationship as a form of "man love" rather than a traditional "fearful" relationship between boss and worker. In the end, the loss of fear also became a loss of respect for Stan. Regardless of the relationship they formed, Stan was forced to let Mitch go. Evidently, this was not an easy task for Stan after the "love" they had formed. However, if he continued to let Stan remain fearful of him, letting him go would have been much easier.

    Evidently, love over fear results in a lack of respect towards an individual with a leadership figure. Additionally, it makes it harder for the leader to disappoint or be mean to his people. In this case, Stan had lost the ability to tell Mitch what to do because he would no longer listen to him. It was also hard for him to fire Mitch from the company. Therefore, Lisa, this is the exact reason why I agree with your post and Machiavelli's idea of fear over love. An individual with a form of leadership takes the responsibility to do whatever is best for his community (in Stan's case, his company). However, if a leader does not have the respect needed to control his community, then he will ultimately fail in doing what he must accomplish. In addition, it is more difficult for him to complete his tasks when he loves or is loved by his people. Therefore, in order for a leader to gain the respect he needs, it only seems necessary for him to instill a certain amount of fear in his community. Individuals will then be more likely to listen and abide by their leader if they somewhat fear him, causing them to be afraid of ever disrespecting him or going against his wishes.

    Although I enjoyed your post, I thought it was important to bring up a different leadership role other than one associated with politics (even though Walzer focuses on politicians). Evidently, there are many similar positions throughout our society that can also be compared to Machiavelli's Fear over Love theory. Can anybody else come up with another example in which this theory can apply?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa I like this post a lot. I agree, Machiavelli is a badass. Coincidently, I love Andrew Jackson. When Andrew Jackson was a general in the U.S army he won a battle in Tallahassee where I believe he lost 5-7 men and the British lost over 1000 men. Now the battle actually ended up being irrelevant because a treaty had already been signed to end the War of 1812, but Jackson didn't have email, Facebook, or a phone so he hadn't gotten the memo yet. I agree that Jackson ran through fear, but also was admired by his citizens. He was powerful and commanded respect which Machiavelli would have loved. I think Sarah is right, depth into Machiavelli could have served well here. However I don't completely agree that fear is always the 100 percent answer. Machiavelli said in a perfect world a leader would be feared and loved. I think a good example of this is the late Kim Jong Il. Kim Jong Il might have been a terrible leader, but he built himself up into a god in North Korea. He would make outlandish statements like he shot 30 under in one round of golf, but his people believed it. People feared life without Kim Jong Il. He lived Machiavellism. This is the reaction in North Korea after his death.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWN6Qj98Iw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree very much so with this post, but I think Elyssa brings up a good point. I'm not sure valuing fear over love would work as well in today's society. I find it hard to imagine someone with a Jackson like attitude being able to get elected. I'm also not sure the people would tolerate such badassery even if he was able to get elected. Then again, something like the Nullification Crisis also probably would not occur in today's America. In a less advanced country, I think fear over love would be a good way of thinking, but not in a country as advanced as the United States.

    ReplyDelete