Saturday, November 24, 2012

Reporters in the Field


Many of you have might have heard about Anderson Cooper, a CNN news anchor, almost getting hit by a rocket while reporting in Gaza recently. Luckily, he was not injured and somehow managed to continue reporting. Seeing this got me thinking about the danger reporters are put in daily just to get us reliable news right as it happens.


After browsing the web for a bit for information, I stumbled across the Committee to Protect Journalists. Finding this site and reading some of the information it offers led me to this realization: events like what happened to Anderson aren’t all that rare for news reporters across the world. Globally, 54 journalists have been killed this year in more than 15 different countries and 179 journalists are jailed as of 2011 in over 20 countries. Journalists aren’t the only ones at risk of death or imprisonment. The International News Safety Institute reported that at least 70 journalists and support staff were killed just in the first half of this year.Aaa

These people not only report the news and gather information in very dangerous areas; they also can have a positive impact on the community they are reporting in. Using Anderson Cooper again as an example (he is a pretty awesome guy), he saved a little boy in 2010 while reporting after the earthquake in Haiti.

They have a very important job and it comes with a lot of danger. The danger they face can be brought on from Hobbes' idea of human nature. However, the manner in which they handle themselves in these situations and the fact that they continue to put themselves at risk to provide valuable information to their viewers shows that Hobbes' idea is not a perfect description.

Having journalists all around the country and world, I believe, is a very important tool for citizens and governments alike to make appropriate and educated international policies. These men and women deserve recognition for their great and usually under-appreciated work.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eric,

    I have to admit that Anderson Cooper is my boy and I love his reporting. Also, I agree that journalists and news reporters, such as AC, don't get enough credit for what they do. They go to extremely dangerous places where no other people want to go and inform people about the horrors of the world. Likewise, I think it is ridiculous when journalist are arrested for telling the truth certain countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric,
    It's true that these journalists and reporters deserve recognition for what they do. I just happened to be watching the news when Anderson Cooper had to duck down from the nearby explosion and thought it was pretty crazy. I am a little confused about your connection between reporter's situations and Hobbes' state of nature. Are they straying from Hobbes' view because you think they are not acting in a selfish manner? Can danger and war we face today be compared to Hobbes' state of nature? Just wanted some clarification because I thought it was interesting. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete