Monday, November 12, 2012

My Response to Kant's Answer

Immanuel Kant has an intriguing approach to answer the question "What is Enlightenment?" While reading "An Answer to the Question: What is Enlightenment?” I believe Kant is writing from a first hand personal account of enlightenment. Kant argues that a man's immaturity holds him back from the true experience of enlightenment1. I agree with Kant's principles of immaturity: laziness, cowardice, and lack of self-motivation. However, rather than immaturity, I believe that enlightenment is a man's emergence from self-centeredness. Achieving a truly selfless and appreciative life is the key to enlightenment.


Kant describes enlightenment as "inevitable"; a concept in which I totally agree. Whether filled with animosity from a job, or living an unhappy life, individuals will be able to experience enlightenment. Have you ever gotten the chills or a tear in your eye from something so amazing? Did you then realize the true meaning behind the thing that gave you chills? I have. During the summer, I took a trip to Washington D.C (a trip which turned out to be amazing). On our last day, we decided to take a trip through the famous Arlington Cemetery. On our way to the burial site of President John F. Kennedy, I looked to my left and this is what I saw,
Rows of Soldiers that have passed away


The feeling that I got was instantaneous. How is it that some of us have neglected to understand how many people care for us and our country? There, I realized the importance of life and the meaning of many words: honor, liberty, valor, justice, and many more. I took this trip away from my self-centeredness and realized how amazing off we have it. This realization of how the majority of people are self-centered has led me to this definition of enlightenment. When releasing yourself from self-enjoyment, you began to realize the importance of everything around you. 


Me (obviously younger) at the Grand Canyon
I believe in another of Kant's concepts; the requirement of freedom for enlightenment and the use of public reason. While reading the quote, "The public use of one's reason must always be free, and it alone can bring enlightenment among mankind" (Kant), I immediately thought of the Grand Canyon. At the Grand Canyon, you have all the freedom in the world as long as there is reason behind it (not just jumping of the side of the Grand Canyon). You can walk, hike, bike, visit museums, whitewater raft, bungee jump, jump over the Grand Canyon, or even jump into it! The point is that you can do whatever you please, and this freedom and use of public reason according to Kant can bring enlightenment. I believe that in nature, there is really no limits, therefore nature is also a foundation for enlightenment.

Guards during Hurricane Sandy
Moving onto Kant's private use of reason, I would also have to agree. This use of reason is described as, "often be very narrowly restricted, without otherwise hindering the progress of enlightenment" (Kant). Kant uses the examples of soldiers having to obey their superiors. The majority of the time, it is appropriate to obey your superiors and trust that they are doing what's right for the community. A modern day example of this is the guards of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The official for the guards stated, '"The Old Guard has guarded the tomb minute of every day since April 6, 1948. Today will be no exception"' during one of the roughest days of Hurricane Sandy2. The soldiers obeyed what they were told and stood through one of the strongest days of Hurricane Sandy. I guarantee if you were standing there, you would be amazed at the sight in front of you.



Guards stand their ground despite weather conditions

These three examples that I have given are unrelated to religion. This is where I have to disagree with Kant on the fact that religion is essential for enlightenment. My definition of enlightenment is based on Kant's theory with some twists of my own: emergence from self-centeredness, nature as a foundation for enlightenment, and not having to practice religion to experience enlightenment. Enlightenment is something everyone can experience, it is a matter of being able to release yourself from your self-centered state and truly experience the world.


Sources
1. Kant, Immanuel. "An Answer to the Question: What Is Enlightenment?" The Literary Link. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Nov. 2012 <http://theliterarylink.com/kant.html>.     
2 and Photo Credit : Martinez, Luis. "Soldiers Guard the Tomb of Unknowns During Hurricane Sandy." ABC News. ABC News Network, 29 Oct. 2012. Web. 13 Nov. 2012. <http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/soldiers-guard-the-tomb-of-unknowns-during-hurricane-sandy/>.





1 comment:

  1. Jeffrey, I suppose that I am a little confused about the premise of your argument. You say that private use of reason- the guards standing watch over the tomb (that photo, by the way, was taken in September, not during the storm, as indicated by the article)- is a foundation of enlightenment, but your quote says that Kant believes that private reason hardly ever helps enlightenment (and, in fact, usually hinders it). He contrasts this idea with public use of reason, where a soldier ought to be able to publicly disagree with his superiors. How does public reason fit into your idea? One might be in awe of the steadfast nature of the troops who march back and forth 24 hours, 7 days a week, but how does that lead to enlightenment?

    ReplyDelete