Thursday, November 22, 2012

Is Social Networking Destroying America?

Reading through the "Discourse on the Origin of Equality", I was a little fuzzy on the ideas that Rousseau was trying to present. However, in lecture on Monday, it became clear to me when Professor LaVaque-Manty proceeded to dance in front of the class to the recently famous Gangnam Style.


To recap what went on during lecture on Monday, Professor LaVaque-Manty used dancing to demonstrate Rousseau's main principles in the "Discourse". He went over what it means to gain respect and truly be happy. The foundation of these two is comparative self-love (self-esteem). This self-esteem branches from taking chances and feeling good and free, which he demonstrated by dancing. Prof. Lavaque-Manty related this to Rousseau's theory of emergence from property. Rousseau  states that people try to obtain as much property as they can to gain respect, build their self-esteem, and feel better than everyone else. Rousseau developed his social contract of inequality between men to tell us how awful our happiness has become.

Rousseau tells us that we have been trying too hard to perfect our reputation and because of this, our true happiness has been lost. He also argues that we now determine happiness by what other's think of us, and that's when it hit me. We have began to have an extreme reliance on social networking as a mean of happiness. We constantly fear being judged and compared to others. Therefore, we feel the need to continuously post pretty pictures, make funny statuses, and tell everyone in the world what were doing at that exact moment. We now communicate through Facebook, twitter, snapchat, etc. Because of these means of communication, friendship is beginning to lose its meaning. Americans are beginning to judges how popular they are based on how many friends they have on Facebook or how many likes they get on an Instagram picture. Take a look at this commercial that explains this concept perfectly.


The parents of the girl in the commercial have the right idea of happiness (they must've read Rousseau's Doctrine). In this instance, the parents are being free and feeling happy. However, the younger generation depicts "living" as living through the Internet, and in my view the commercial has the right opinion. These social network addicts dig into other's lives because they may feel the need to make up for their own boring life. Social Networking has allowed us to have confidence in the virtual world, but has destroyed our confidence in the real world. Our reliance is so strong on social networking that we would go mad if we didn't have Twitter or Facebook for a week. The list of negative effects from social networking can go on and on. If Rousseau were alive today, he would be absolutely furious of how we have attempted to obtain happiness by social networking.

Social networking can work against someone or for them. For example, Facebook could help you find an interview for that top-rated job, however, when the employer looks through your Facebook page and finds inappropriate statuses he won't hire you. There's no question that social networking has multiple positive effects, however; the negative effects are beginning to outweigh the positive effects. So I have a challenge for you. Instead of spending an hour looking through pointless photos on Facebook that you won't remember in a week, go out and experience the world.

Happiness shouldn't come from how much money or property you have. Nor should it come from your self-confidence in the virtual world. True happiness will occur when you gain respect for yourself and surround yourself with people that respect you for who you are.


4 comments:

  1. I couldn't have said it better myself! Although I am an individual caught up in the social media realm of today's society, I still firmly believe in the argument you are proposing. Earlier this year, I went back to my high school to visit some of my past teachers. What shocked me was when a former teacher asked me about the average college kid's perspective on Facebook. To correctly answer her question, I had to ask her to clarify what she was actually trying to ask me. She went on to say how worried she was about the emotional effects of Facebook on her 13 year old daughter. Supposedly, the amount of likes and comments on 13 year olds' Facebook pictures pose for a popularity cyber war. Unless I am totally unaware of this happening amongst us college kids, I was completely shocked to hear this.

    Although some may argue that media is effecting all ages, I now firmly believe that the main crisis exists amongst the youth of our society. Children in the generation below us have been raised with constant connection to the media. Instead of the "olden day" face-to-face personal interactions, children are now interpreting how others feel about them by the actions they take via social media (how many likes/comments they have). Personally, I don't think individuals my age are glued to studying who gets the most likes to determine who the most popular person is. Instead, we are fortunate that media didn't strike us at such a young age.

    Given that, I still agree with your connection to our reliance on social media in comparison to Rosseau's interpretation of our loss of true happiness. Clearly we do depend on technology much more than we should. However, I still do believe that we are in better luck of diverting ourselves from the media world than those who are younger than us. For example, last year I went on a vacation to the Bahamas over spring break. Instead of arguing with my dad to pay for an international phone plan (to text, use Facebook, etc.), I decided it would complete my vacation to be separate from technology and social media. I feel Rosseau would have given me a pat on the back for that decision! Truly happy in the warm caribbean sun, I enjoyed my time with people I love instead of wasting it caring about others' judgment of me.

    I do not think this disconnection from social media would be as easy for individuals younger than us. Because of the era we were born into, I believe we have a better grasp on life with and without media. However, although I was able to depart myself from social media for 2 weeks, I'll admit that I am unsure if I could ever completely withdraw myself. Social media has become a big part of the world we live in, however, I do think the effects of it are what you make it. I believe our goal in life today should be to cautiously use social media, but absolutely live by Rosseau's means of true happiness. As you said, branch out, live freely and enjoy life without worry of others' opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeffrey,

    I agree with you that Rousseau would be extremely upset with society because of the way we try to acquire happiness. Similar to you, I think that society's over emphasis on social media is leading people to believe that are social media lives are linked to happiness. After reading your blog, I still think that social media, however, has more positives than negatives. Sure social media can create problems if you say something controversial and possibly inhibit you from getting a job, but it also has many benefits. Social media allows you to keep in contact with your friends and family and give you pleasure in your free time. I do believe as a society, we should weaken are infatuation with social media and find different ways to obtain happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you make a great point about how social is slowly taking over our lives. Although I am myself caught up in Facebook, I know that my life wouldn't fall apart without it. Sure when I'm in my dorm, in class, or studying I have Facebook open the majority of the time, and that is a problem. But at the same time, if I go on vacation and have no access to Facebook for a month, I am fine. I think Sarah really hit the nail on the head. Younger generations are more and more attached to technology, because they really haven't known a world without it. And at the risk of sounding like my parents, remember back when you would just play on the playground at recess, or when cellphones were still some new piece of technology that not many people had. Today you see parents giving their infants and toddlers iphones, and children now play with phones or tablets instead of reading books. Its kind of a shame and Rousseau would probably be outraged.

    That being said I believe that social media has become a large part of our lives. Although I know I could go without social media for a while, I don't think I could completely cut it out of my life. But at the same time am I concerned with who likes or comments on what, or how many likes something has? No. I think the story you shared Sarah is shocking. Perhaps we need to rethink the use and introduction of social media in society, whether that involves age restrictions or something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff-

    I couldn’t agree with you more about your argument saying that social networking sites are taking over our life completely. I actually did some research last year through Carnegie Mellon University titled “The Effect of Social Networking on Teenage Relationships and Decisions” and many of the points that you brought up were addressed in the survey that I distributed. When you said “…we feel the need to continuously post pretty pictures, make funny statuses, and tell everyone in the world what were doing at that exact moment. We now communicate through Facebook, twitter, snapchat, etc. Because of these means of communication, friendship is beginning to lose its meaning” it made me think of how much the definition of a friend has completely changed because of the impact of social networking sites on our friendships and relationships. Now, the click of a button institutes a friendship and some people have trouble differentiating between a real friend a cyber friend. I want to disconnect over winter break… or at least try to.

    ReplyDelete